Between December and January our calendars are booked with holiday parties, family gatherings, and drinks with friends. How do we attempt to get back to reality without adding on the pounds? Here are 7 ways to detox our bodies:
1. The morning after a night out on the town (holiday or not!), start the next day off on the right note with a de-bloating morning drink that helps regulate digestion and get you back on a flat-belly track. Coconut water is a great option, or even adding chia seeds to water will help achieve this de-bloating effect.
2. Your first meal should be energizing and full of detoxifying ingredients to help you feel your best. Try a warming bowl of oatmeal and fruit, since whole grains and fresh fruit to help flush toxins from your body.
3. Plain old water is one of the best ways to detox throughout the day, but for an added benefit, throw a few deliciously refreshing ingredients into your water bottle to increase your water's detoxing abilities. Lemon, mint, cucumber, and ginger all make for a delicious detox beverage.
4. Following those sweet holiday indulgences, reset your body (and your taste buds) by sticking with fresh fruits and veggies as much as possible.
5. Think fresh produce when you think detox. Go for leafy dark greens, beets and pomegranate to help you flush out your system.
6. A mug of green tea does a body good. Add lemon to help alkalize and flush out toxins further.
7. Last but certainly not least, Bikram Yoga!! Nothing can compare to sweating out all the toxins and feeling refreshed after a 90 minute Bikram yoga class.
- Laurie Taunton MS RD