To most of us, Halloween is about trick-or-treating, haunted houses, costumes and pumpkins, but really there's so much more. Check out these fun facts:
1. Halloween is known as All Hallows' Eve.
2. Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain.
3. The practice of dressing up and asking for treats goes back to the Middle Ages.
4. The first mass-produced costumes appeared in stores in the 1930s when trick-or-treating became popular.
5. Trick-or-treating spread from the Western US to the East, and was stalled by sugar rationing that began in 1942.
6. In Ohio, Iowa and Massachusetts, the night designated for trick-or-treating is often referred to as Beggars Night.
7. Due to American cultural influence, trick-or-treating has started in Europe and parts of Saudi Arabia.
8. Halloween is one of our favorite holidays!
Because we love Halloween (and playing dress-up) so much, we're holding a special costume class at our Rockville Centre studio next Friday night, October 26th. Cost is $20 and will benefit the Kids Theatre Network. Sign up at the front desk or call (516)432-7777.
Come dressed in your Halloween best! (And don't worry, the room will be cooled down to 90 degrees)
*Facts come from Halloweenhistory.org