According to The New York Times, some of the healthiest foods out there are not being consumed nearly enough. Good nutrition is key for a healthy lifestyle and will not only complement your yoga practice, but will help you to feel better overall. Consider incorporating the following foods into your diet:
1. Canned pumpkin - It is a low calorie, filling food that is high in fiber.
2. Pomegranate juice - It is loaded with antioxidants and appears to lower blood pressure.
3. Frozen blueberries - While fresh fruits are usually preferred, they aren't always available year round. That's not the case with frozen blueberries. You can get them any time of year and they don't spoil. Blueberries are associated with better memory in animal studies.
4. Cinnamon - May help control blood sugar and cholesterol.
5. Swiss chard - A green vegetable that is packed with carotenoids that protect aging eyes.
An added bonus for yogis is that all of the above are light and easy to digest. In other words, a great choice especially on days when you plan on coming to class (though don't forget you should practice Bikram yoga on an empty stomach regardless!)